Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Full title: Sufjan Stevens Invites You To: Come On Feel The Illinoise. One of my favorite albums of the 00's. I personally have one of the original copies with Superman on the cover! Later editions replaced Superman with balloons when the label and distributor feared copy problems. Illinois is a sprawling beautiful album filled with tales centered around the Land of Lincoln. "Chicago" is the most well-known song, but the entire record is excellent. --Rob @ wax.fm
See also: Pitchfork's Top Albums of the 2000s
- A1) Concerning The UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois
- A2) The Black Hawk War, Or, How To Demolish An Entire Civilization And Still Feel Good About Yourself In The Morning, Or, We Apologize For The Inconvenience But You're Going To Have To Leave Now, Or, "I Have Fought The Big Knives And Will Continue To Fight Th
- A3) Come On! Feel The Illinoise! Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream
- A4) John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
- A5) Jacksonville
- A6) A Short Reprise For Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, But For Very Good Reasons
- B1) Decatur, Or, Round Of Applause For Your Stepmother!
- B2) One Last "Whoo-Hoo!" For The Pullman!!
- B3) Go! Chicago! Go! Yeah!
- B4) Casimir Pulaski Day
- B5) To The Workers Of The Rock River Valley Region, I Have An Idea Concerning Your Predicament, And It Involves Tube Socks, A Paper Airplane, And Twenty-Two Able-Bodied Men
- C1) The Man Of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
- C2) Prairie Fire That Wanders About
- C3) A Conjunction Of Drones Simulating The Way In Which Sufjan Stevens Has An Existential Crisis In The Great Godfrey Maze
- C4) The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us!
- C5) They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From The Dead!! Ahhhh!
- C6) Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All The Way Out In Bloomington-Normal
- C7) In This Temple As In The Hearts Of Man For Whom He Saved The Earth
- D1) The Seer's Tower
- D2) The Tallest Man, The Broadest Shoulders Part I: The Great Frontier Part II: Come to Me Only With Playthings Now
- D3) Riffs And Variations On A Single Note For Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, And The King Of Swing, To Name A Few
- D4) Out of Egypt, Into The Great Laugh Of Mankind, And I Shake The Dirt From My Sandals As I Run
- D5) The Ava Lanche
Track listing above is from 2005-Aug-01 | Europe | Rough Trade - RTRADLP 250 LP
- 2005-Aug-01 | Europe | Rough Trade - RTRADLP 250 LP
- 2005-08-01 | Europe | Rough Trade - RTRADLP 250 LP
Images from Vinyl Releases of Illinois
Click small images above to see larger versions.
Check out more vinyl records by Sufjan Stevens